Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Celebration of Women Leaders in Missouri


In 2010 I ran for office for the first time in my life. I had always volunteered my time behind the scenes in getting candidates elected, but in 2009 I made the choice to put my name on the ballot.

It's amazing that just 91 years ago women were given the right to finally vote, let alone run for office. During that time they were jailed, beaten, starved, and treated like animals to have a voice in our political world. They did not give up because it was the "unpopular" thing to do. They did not give in, but stood proud together for who they were.

There are only 47 women elected of the 197 members in our Missouri State Legislature, and many of those women don't vote in favor of protecting women's rights. We are clearly being under-represented and need to work harder in order to get more women elected.

The women of our past knew that in order to succeed, they had to work together to make it possible. That is why I have started this blog. I want to recognize the women of Missouri for their outstanding leadership and support that they give to other women. We have a long way to go, but I am not deterred because in my field, I have met and worked with so many outstanding females, that the opportunities are there for making a difference in the future. Let this be just one place where these women of leadership can be recognized and supported in a manner that is complimentary to their achievements.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful summary of our ongoing plight! Thanks for sharing and I appreciate your forward thinking (Progressive) attitude! You are truly an Old 'Democrat' Soul!

    ReplyDelete